Monday, October 6, 2014

Recent Op shop bargains


Excuse the dodgy photo (I snapped it quickly today after bringing in some washing, in between cooking dinner and helping a certain toddler cope with being tired and hungry!), but I love getting bargains like these.

I know some people don't like hand-me-downs. Or buying stuff second hand. Or op shopping. I'm not one of those people, I love it! We've always been very fortunate in having people around us (hello to family and friends) who happily pass on clothes their kids have outgrown, or who sell us their kids' clothes at ridiculously low prices. I'm talking stuff that is in excellent condition, as well as stuff that is a little more worn, but perfect for messy-play and Day Care days. This has all been a huge blessing to us, and I love knowing not only have we saved money, but we're recycling as well.

We've also had a totally accidental saving by having 2 daughters, so although Miss 2 has had some new clothes (gifts and stuff I couldn't resist!),  I would guess a good 80% of her clothes have been second hand. And she is yet to complain ;)

Miss Nearly-6 has had a lot less hand-me-downs, but I've always loved the thrill of occasionally doing a trawl through some local op shops. I generally do a big bargain-hunt to go with the changing seasons, so I am currently in the process of establishing her summer wardrobe.

Over the recent school holidays we had some time to kill near a "Savers" store, so me and the girls had a quick look. Miss Nearly-6 recognised her school dress amongst the racks, and it is just the size we will be needing next year and was just $2.99. The school dresses retail for $32 at our local uniform shop, so we snapped this one up!

The other 3 items (2 skirts and a sun dress) were less than $4 a piece, so for under $15 we have 4 almost-new items, given money to charity (Savers support Diabetes Australia, a cause very close to my heart), and saved ourselves a chunk of money all at once.

I've had a few more lucky finds recently that I will post as soon as they've come through the washing.

:) 

3 comments:

  1. I love op shops. Charlotte hadlots of second hand clothes and a good portion of mine are from op shops too.
    I love that you find a school uniform..school items are so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy!! Yes, the school uniform was a great find, so happy to have saved so much :) I love shopping for myself too, but always seem to spend much more time looking at the kids stuff or books!

      Delete
  2. Great bargain on the school uniform, you can get lucky sometimes :) I love op shopping too, and have picked up some really nice things. Where my mum lives in a small country town, there is a lovely little shop that is very cheap, I am talking nothing over two dollars, what a great place to shop!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments and questions, I will check back here to reply as often as I can :)