Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Baking Scrolls

I started this recipe post a few weeks ago - the scrolls featured are now pretty much finished! I've been jotting down stuff to blog about but have been a bit busy actually doing stuff rather than blogging about it, but there are plenty of more posts to come ;)

Vegemite scroll dough all rolled up ready to be sliced
I had a big baking day yesterday, and filled a big container with 2 kinds of savoury scrolls and a big batch of Banana and Weetbix muffins (previously posted) to have some frozen snacks for lunch boxes on hand. I'm lucky in that my kids do generally eat fruit or carrot sticks without much fuss, but I am still trying to sneak in goodness where I can, so this time I added some pumpkin seeds in the muffins, and no one has even noticed! Miss Almost 6 is fussy with food, so if I find something she likes that isn't chips or chicken nuggets, I get excited.

A friend posted on Facebook that she was baking cheese and Vegemite scrolls and some pear muffins for her kids. INSPIRATION! Why hadn't I thought of baking savoury scrolls? My fusspot loves stuff like that from Bakers Delight, so I figured making them myself was worth a go, so she can have them and feel like it's a treat without it costing me. Success! Miss Almost 6 gobbled up four scrolls (only about a scone-size) for afternoon tea, and has asked for me to make more when these ones are done!

This is the base-recipe I used, though I doubled it and  I made a batch with just Vegemite (Miss Almost 6 requested no cheese with them) and a batch of bacon and cheese too.

Scrolls:

2 cups of Self Raising flour
A pinch of salt
85 grams of unsalted butter
2/3 cup of milk (though I added more when kneading it, as it was too floury)

Method: Mix flour and salt. Rub butter in with fingertips. Mix in the milk until dough forms. Knead on floured bench until all the flour is worked in (I had to add a little more milk as mine wasn't sticking together. You don't want it wet, just like play dough). Roll the dough out to a thickeness of 1cm, it should make a good 30cm circle. Top with whatever combination you like (bacon and cheese; cheese and sweet chilli sauce; Vegemite and cheese; tomato paste, ham and cheese), and roll dough into a log. Slice into approx 2cm slices and bake on a lined pizza tray. I glaze mine with milk, and bake for 12-14 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius.

Recipe notes: A single batch of these made 12 or 13 scrolls. I don't really do the sums on this sort of recipe, but given the most expensive ingredient would be the bacon, and the rest are pretty much pantry staples, I class these as pretty cheap!

All baked and cooling down

Dough rolled, cooked bacon pieces and grated cheese sprinkled


Bacon and cheeses all ready for the oven

Having  tub full of home-baked snacks on hand makes me feel super organised

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments and questions, I will check back here to reply as often as I can :)